Monday, January 26, 2009

14 Weeks

Your adorable little fetus is busy with thumb sucking, toe wiggling, and (not so cute but equally amazing) making urine and breathing amniotic fluid as the liver, kidneys and spleen continue to develop. Lanugo (thin, downy hair) is growing all over the body for warmth.

Welcome to week 14! A few new symptoms have slowly crept in, one of which brought me to the following conclusion: being pregnant allows you to be a kid again.

Why, you ask?

So I woke up on Saturday morning at 5:10am - well, actually that's the time that I finally got out of bed to go to the bathroom because I probably laid there for a good 20 minutes trying to talk myself out of the quick trip. Didn't work. I got back to bed and had the revelation above and ever since my list has grown...
  • you have to stop drinking water a few hours before bed, otherwise you won't make it through the night. Thankfully "not making it" no longer means wet sheets...
  • you have to limit the amount of sugar you eat and caffeine is out of the question unless you can sneak a few sips when no one is looking.
  • someone has to help you put your shoes on. I'm not there yet, but I hear this one is coming.
  • it's socially acceptable for someone to comment on how much "you've grown". Unfortunately the growth is now horizontal and comments like "looks like your cheeks have started to fill in" is not a compliment at all.
  • you wake up before the sun and wonder what cartoons may be on tv...cut me a little slack, I did mention it was Saturday morning so the thought actually crossed my mind!
  • you can eat as much as you want without worrying about how much weight you'll gain, but your tummy really starts to hurt afterward.
  • you have to strategically plan trips to the bathroom so that you're not holding it as hard as you can during extended road trips - like the 20 minute drive home from work.
I think that's it for now, looks like week 14 has a lot in store! ....oh, but thankfully it won't include the insane itchiness that I've been battling these last few days. Cocoa butter is definitely a God-send!

Here's the weekly belly pic - small progress, but I can definitely see the difference.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you really cant get around the early morn run to relieve yourself, try as you may, it only gets worse...so might as well get use to being woken up at 2am

Sarah said...

You crack me up! :) Until now, I hadn't really considered how pregnancy allows you to be a kid again, but now I totally see it! Hope week 14 has been great :)