Friday, January 16, 2009

2nd Visit

So today we went to visit for our first visit to the high-risk doc just to check things out...little did I know what an experience this would be, but that's for later. First I have to tell you what an amazing (I use that word a lot) experience the ultrasound was. I feel terrible that I told Kenny to stay home because I got to see the baby on the screen for at least 10 or 15 minutes. It was wild to see how active the baby was, turning over and jumping all over the place - seriously! The tech said that the nerves in their little fingers and toes are so sensitive that if they touch anything it sort of shocks them - hence the little jumps. He or she is such a little busy body, but behaved well for us so that we got plenty of good pics.

Can you see the baby waving with his/her left hand? The technology is just fascinating...I could see both arms and fingers and toes - and to think the baby is only about 2.5 inches right now. The heartbeat was still strong in the 150s so overall, baby and mommy are happy.


As I mentioned, it wasn't a completely positive experience. It turns out that the baby's NT measurement is 2.5mm, which apparently is on the higher than normal side. To clue you in, the NT measurement is the "nuchal translucency, a transparent space behind the fetus's neck that's temporarily visible late in the first trimester. A widening of this space is linked to an increased risk of chromosomal abnormalities".

They basically measure the small space behind the baby's neck which indicates a few different types of birth defects or potential problems with the heart. At first I'm thinking ok, no worries - I just saw the baby jumping around, surely everything is fine - then she tells me that 2.5 is in the 90th percentile. This is where the problem arises...so I say, ok - 90% meaning 90% of babies have this measurement and she says - no, 9 out of 10 babies develop one of the associated problems.

Hmmmm.

At this point I begin to freak out a little which leads to a total break-down in the car. I quickly run home and jump online only to find out that there may have been a problem in translation...either hers or mine. My internet source literally says "nine out of 10 babies with a measurement between 2.5mm and 3.5mm will be completely normal".

So, as Kenny said, there are times in life when you have to practice what you preach...you have to take that step in faith and know that God is in complete control of the situation and no matter the outcome will give all of us the strength to overcome. The funny thing is that I've said over and over in these last few months that pregnancy really prepares you for so much of what I expect motherhood to be...lack of sleep, patience, mood swings, patience...and now perseverance and prayer.

What next? They took my blood today to screen for the birth defects associated with the increased NT so by next week I should know 80% whether I'm at high or low risk...and then they'll test again a month from now with a 90% confidence one way or the other. Until then, we just patiently wait in prayer that God will continue to knit His little miracle..our little Mexican jumping bean!

Psalm 139:13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...

No comments: