Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mistaken Identity

Yes, I am blogging from work - which is totally frowned upon - however, I need to get this off my chest before I move on with my day. So my precious husband calls me this morning to sweetly tell me that "everyone" has been telling him that we need to pick a name with a cool meaning. I'm thinking ok, that's an interesting thought - but we're on name number two by now and I thought this one was sticking. He then tells me that he's not set on changing the name (again), but he wants "us" to start looking at other names.

Only hours out of another evening of hormone hell and terrible belly aches (yes, it hurts to be pregnant!), I take a deep breath and say ok and let him go.

Two minutes later I call back just to share my frustration - not anger, I'm really not necessarily mad - just frustrated that I keep growing attached to these names that keep changing. For those of you who know me, last minute change is not always my thing. Tell me now that we're picking 5 names and we'll pick then one when we meet her and I'm ok with that; however, picking a new name every two months just doesn't work for me. Anyway, I then politely tell him that he needs to share in this duty…after all, I'm spending hours and hours of my life trying to figure out how to decorate a nursery - important things people!! I asked him to come up with his own list (in addition to my list) and we'll narrow it down - but we have to stop calling her these names if she doesn't have one!! Poor baby…

Moral of the story - if you know my husband, please keep you opinions on names to yourself. I do have to admit that other people's opinions have worked in my favor in the past (ie. we're not buying used furniture on Craig's list for our first baby girl and we're getting maternity pictures because "someone" told him that we just had to do it) - but if you ("everyone" and "someone") could please run your opinions by me before you share it with him I'd appreciate it. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have about ten ideas for names. I'll run them by Kenny tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

By the way, why do you get to be the filter for names? I believe this child is both of yours. I think it's time to suck it up and be able to roll with the punches, even if it comes in the form of a new possible name.

Unknown said...

just as long as all your kids name do not start with the same letter, i am sure you can come up with a name that means something like how about Apple or since you are in florida Orange...or better yet Coral or Vrenia the godess of water, now thats a meaningful name since she may have been conceived on the water.....lol